Colored Face Powder
With colored face powder you can make your own costume from scratch or add a little something extra to one you already have. Originally, the Celts wore costumes on All Hallows Eve to scare away the spirits. You'll be sure to scare a few, too, when you add this makeup to your garb.
What You'll Need:
Colored nontoxic chalk
2 nesting metal bowls
How to make Colored Face Powder (version 1):
- To make face powder, wrap a piece of colored chalk in a plastic bag. Pound it with a rolling pin. Be careful that you do not break the plastic bag.
- When you have broken the chalk into small pieces, pour it into the larger of two nesting metal bowls.
- Put the smaller bowl inside the larger one and move it around in circles to grind the chalk into a fine powder. You will need to press fairly hard to do this.
- After the chalk is ground into an even powder, mix in 1/2 cup of cornstarch. You can experiment with different amounts of chalk and cornstarch to see which feels best on your skin.
How to make Colored Face Powder (version 2):
- You can make another kind of powder by putting 1 tablespoon of talcum powder into a cup and mixing in 5 or 6 drops of food coloring.
- Mix the food coloring well, so that it is spread evenly in the powder.
- Use the cotton balls to apply your ghoulish powders -- look great from head to toe in your Halloween costume!
Jack-o-lanterns are another Halloween tradition originally meant to keep bad spirits from coming in the house. Create a dancing jack-o'-lantern for your house. Keep reading to learn more.