Knowledge is power. This is true in every facet of our lives, and gardening is no exception. The more we learn about how to grow healthy, delicious vegetables and herbs, the better gardeners we'll become. It doesn't always mean we'll be successful (pests, diseases, and weather can still plot against us!) but it does mean we can start avoiding many of those rookie mistakes we all make at some point.
With that in mind, I'd like to present you with a crash course in vegetable gardening, courtesy of Planet Green and a few of my favorite garden blogs and websites. These links cover a variety of topics, from crop rotation and organic pest control to perennial vegetables and composting. There are tips for small-space gardeners, such as how to grow a variety of vegetable in containers. Learn how to grow more food in less space, no matter where you garden. Whether you garden in a back yard, on a community plot, or on your fire escape or windowsill, I hope you find something here that will help you grow better.
Five Garden Blogs You Should Subscribe To
If vegetable gardening is your thing, the five blogs listed below should be required reading.
- You Grow Girl -- Gayla Trail's blog about urban gardening.
- Diggin Food -- Organic Gardening magazine contributing editor Willi Galloway's blog about growing your own edibles.
- Skippy's Vegetable Garden -- Vegetable gardening in the suburbs.
- Vegetable Gardener -- Fine Gardening magazine's blog devoted to vegetable gardening.
- The Yarden -- Urban gardening, with lots of information on community gardens.
15 Blog Posts to Help You Grow a Better Garden
The fifteen posts below tackle a variety of vegetable gardening topics. Some are basic (such as learning how to compost) and some are more advanced (such as Sami Grover's series on permaculture) but there should be something for just about everyone.
- 75 Things You Can Compost (That You Thought You Couldn't)
- Crop Rotation for a Healthier, More Productive Vegetable Garden
- 10 Vegetables You Probably Aren't Growing (But Should Be!)
- Sami's Permaculture Series
- Grow Potatoes in a Bucket or Trash Can
- How to Grow Tomatoes in a Container
- The Most Common Vegetable Garden Pests (And How To Get Rid of Them)
- No Dig Gardening: Make a Lasagna Garden
- 10 Vegetables You Can Grow Without Full Sun
- Grow $700 Worth of Food in 100 Square Feet
- Eight Great Perennial Vegetables Almost Anyone Can Grow
- Plant Cover Crops for Healthier Soil
- Make a Raised Bed Garden
- Sneaky Composting (For Gardeners Who Don't Have Room for a Compost Pile)
- Growing Vegetables in Containers: General Information
We hope these resources help you meet all of your gardening goals, no matter what size garden you grow. If there's a topic you'd like to learn more about, leave a comment!