How to Clean Cookware
Cleaning Nonstick Cookware
- Use wood, nylon, or specially coated spoons and spatulas to prevent surface damage.
- Most nonstick cookware can be safely washed in the dishwasher. Wash new pans before using them, and lightly coat the inside with vegetable oil.
- Apply vegetable oil again after each washing in the dishwasher and after treating for stains.
- Do not soak pans in soapy water; the coating can retain a soap flavor.
- When you want to remove stains from nonstick cookware, mix 2 tablespoons baking soda with 1 cup water and 1/2 cup liquid bleach. Boil the solution in the pan for several minutes until the stains disappear, then wash as usual.
You won't get much cooking done without dirtying a utensil or two. Learn about cleaning plastic and rubber on the next page.