Summer is coming -- are your legs ready? Shorts are everywhere this year! Recent trends steer away from the longer Bermuda-style pants and more towards short shorts. (Think mid-thigh and up.) When worn with heels or wedge sandals, shorts can make your legs look longer and leaner. Pair them with ballet flats or sandals and a silk shirt for a polished, preppy look, or just toss on a tee and a pair of oversized sunglasses to don a classic, retro style. However you wear them, shorts are perfect for just about any summer activity, from lounging by the beach or pool all the way to working a day at the office or dancing the night away at a rooftop party.
Read the next page to learn about the benefits of shorts that end low but start high!
5: High-waisted shorts
The iconic TV show "Mad Men" has inspired many fashion trends. High-waisted shorts are another retro style that has jumped from the small screen onto clothing racks. High-waisted shorts can be intimidating, but have no fear -- it is possible to make this look work for you. Because these pants fit on the smaller part of your waist, they'll give you an hourglass shape -- even if you don't have model-length legs. Find a pair of high-waisted shorts suited for your body type, and you can pull off this classic vintage look.
4: Colored shorts
Clothing is showing up in every color of the rainbow this summer -- and not just on dresses and shirts. A range of colors, from bright and bold primary hues to cool pastels, fit perfectly with shorts. If you're afraid of wearing bright colors, try it first with a pair of stylish little pants, since there won't be too much material to highlight. Color block them with a differently toned top for a playful, youthful look.
Prints and patterns are currently all the rage, and shorts aren't left behind with this stylish trend. Show off your stems with prints of various patterns and styles. Animal prints, bold geometric shapes and feminine florals can be an exciting focal point of your wardrobe. This look works well with colored shirts, or, if you consider yourself a more advanced stylist, try mixing prints like a pair of light, horizontally-striped shorts with a dark, vertically-striped top.
2: The Shorts Suit
Working in an office doesn't mean wearing boring, uncomfortable clothes during the dog days of summer. The shorts suit is a unique warm weather staple this year. Mix and match shorts with a blouse and blazer for a sleek look without compromising your summer style. Just make sure your clothing materials are work-worthy -- walking around in denim shorts at the office will definitely not look professional!
1: Girlie Shorts
If you've got great gams, why not show them off in a true feminine fashion? Super-feminine shorts, with lots of lace, silk and floral accents, are guaranteed to keep your legs cool this summer (while heating up those around you). This look can be dressed up with gauzy blouses and heels, or you can keep it casual with a plain T-shirt and sandals.
Lots More Information
- 10 Ways to Develop Your Personal Style
- 10 First Job Fashion Essentials
- 5 Essential Summer Accessories Women Should Have
- 5 Swimsuits for the Everyday Woman
- 10 Must-have Accessories for Vacation
- Cosmopolitan. "Hot Shorts." 2012. (April 15, 2012) http://www.cosmopolitan.com/celebrity/fashion/hot-shorts#slide-1
- Dodes, Rachel. "Shorting Leather." Wall Street Journal. April 23, 2010. (April 22, 2012) http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704448304575196152423440896.html
- Pieri, Kerry. "Shop a Spring Must-Have: The Shorts Suit." Harper's Bazaar. 2012. (April 15, 2012) http://www.harpersbazaar.com/fashion/fashion-articles/short-suits-women?click=main_sr#slide-1
- Weil, Hannah. "It's High Time: 15 High-Waisted Shorts to Show Off Your Stems for Spring." Fabsugar. April 11, 2012. (April 15, 2012) http://www.fabsugar.com/Best-High-Waist-Shorts-Spring-2012-22619634?slide=0