Did you know that 200,000 pounds of hair goes into the landfill each day? That's a lot of hair wasting our space. Hair is a naturally growing, rapidly replenishable resource. It could do us some good to find something useful to do with the stuff, besides throw it in the trash. Here are 8 suggestions.
1. Give your Hair to the Birds Birds will use your hair to make nests. Get in touch with nature in a very special way. Let a bird make a home out of what used to be you.
2. Donate Your Hair to Charity If you have ten inches of hair, you can donate your hair to Locks of Love. The hair is used to make wigs for sick kids.
3. Deer Repellent Deer are repelled by human hair. If you see a deer, shake your hair at it. That might scare it away. However, putting unwashed human hair in bags and hanging those bags on trees is probably a more rational way to repel deer.
4. Use it as Compost Hair is compostable. It makes great fertilizer.
5. Keep the Snails Away Human hair also repels snails. Sprinkle unwashed hair around your garden. It supposedly keeps rodents away as well. Animals hate our hair.
6. Make Wigs There are plenty of wigmakers out there looking for hair donations.
9. Clothes and Jewelry I'd wear a hat made of my own hair, but I'm not wearing a hair shirt. Others have made clothes and accessories out of homo sapien hair. You can too. But you don't have to.